Saturday 18 June 2011

Vegas - Week 1

Aight, so thought I'd write a little something here...

I've been in Vegas for almost a week now - having a pretty sweet time.

The journey here was quite daunting...all was going smoothly until JFK...it's just not a very nice place, is it? Considering it's NYC's main airport they could really do with enhancing it. I guess it's tough going there after being in Schipol, Amsterdam earlier in the day - it's infinitely better. We had a two hour delay after we boarded the plane, cos they hadn't properly loaded the fuel tank - not cool! I really didn't feel well and was relieved when we finally touched down. The view flying into Las Vegas at night is incredible - window seat ftw!

So I eventually arrived in Vegas around 3am pacific time, Monday 13th; I took a cab to the hotel, checked in at the Orleans and hit the sack.

After five hours of much needed rest, it was time  to get up - my first WSOP event was kicking off at Noon. I got some good stuff in me at the breakfast buffet, then made my way down to the Rio. It was pretty exciting to finally arrive at the venue of the world's greatest poker series! Walking down the corridors you feel a sense of history - I knew I was at a special place.

My first event was the $1500 PLO. I felt very comfortable at my table and managed to build nicely on my starting stack of 4500 - getting up to around 8000 when I busted the table's most aggressive player; my set of 6's crushing his set of 4's. I took a pretty big knock soon after though; after check-raising with the nuts on a KJ9ss flop, I picked up one caller and had to make a reluctant fold on the turn, when he shoved after the third spade arrived. Pretty sure I was drawing dead.

Around level 4 of the day (each level lasts for one hour and the blinds go up accordingly at the start of each new level) I was moved tables. I had British pro JP Kelly two to my left. I made a nice play when I trapped a dude on an A55 flop (flat calling his flop bet with my trips) and only taking the lead on the turn, when a J arrived - improving my hand to a full house. He tanked/reluctantly made the call, complimenting me on my enticing bet size.

Unfortunately I couldn't get too much going thereafter. I saw a couple flops but wasn't hitting a great deal or finding the right spots to try and outmaneuvre opponents off better hands. PLO is an intricate game, which requires a lot of thought and brings so many different hand possibilities on each street.

My run came to an end midway through level 5...after flatting in position with AJ84 double suited, I raised my opponents c-bet on a 1075dd board - he called putting me at risk. With a gutshot to go with my flush draw, I was about a 45-55 dog against his two pair - he held.

The disappointment of busting the event was negated by the feeling that I'd played well and I felt good about my prospects going forward. As it happened, my buddy Rafe Kibrit went on a sick run in the same event - eventually taking 2nd place for $181k. It was a really fun rail in the Amazon room, with Sherif, Lee, Serg (our backer) and a bunch of Rafe's friends. Heads up he was against a French guy and there was some pretty good banter between everyone and a great atmosphere. The main stage in the Amazon room is awesome - the lighting, live commentary and all the action makes for great theatre. I'm determined to make a great run this Series - it would be a great thrill to play on that grand stage.

On Thursday I played my second event - a $1500 NLHE. It was actually similar to my PLO tourney; started really solid, ran up my stack, then got chipped down a bit and eventually lost a flip (AQ-88) to bust.

Aside from the tournaments, I've been playing quite a bit of Omaha cash - and doing well. It's good to have the balance between tournaments and cash. The latter is a little less intense; I have a few drinks when I'm playing and engage with the other players. I've played some really sick hands so far - and won a couple of very nice pots (most notably with a royal flush and another where I made quad aces!).

Away from the felt, I have picked up my media pass and now have official access to the interview room - the plan is to get a couple interviews with some big name players while I'm here and write up some articles based on these for Poker Player magazine.

It's not all poker though here in Vegas. We have a huge pool at the Orleans and I like to spend some time relaxing outside, catching the rays. It's 100 degrees plus every day in LV...it's awesome but I do tend to stay inside during the hottest part of the day. Mid-late afternoon is a nice time to get out there. I'm hoping to sport a nice tan by the end of my trip.

I've also had some really good food here; my best meals so far have been Asian cuisine; we've been to a couple ace Japanse/Korean restaurants in town.

Vegas is an awesome city. The poker is great; the atmosphere is electric, the girls are gorgeous and the air is hot! I'll be playing my third WSOP event tomorrow and hope that I'll be immersed in that for the next three days. Whatever happens, I know there will be plenty of fun to be had...never a dull moment in Sin City!

1 comment: